When the cold and wet weather of December hits, nothing is more comforting than fuzzy socks, hot tea, and endless plates of comfort food. This week, our executive chef extraordinaire , Katherine Haycox-Case shares a luxurious twist on Mac ‘n Cheese – an otherwise ordinary sounding dish, but nevertheless a comfort on gray days.
Dungeness Crab & Porcini Mac ‘n Cheese1 lb Pacific Dungeness Crab legs & meat
4 fresh Porcini mushrooms
2 T Castillo Canena Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or your favorite EVOO)
1 lb A.G. Ferrari Rigatoni
1 qt. Zupan’s Alfredo Sauce
1/2 lb. Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 T Chardonnay Smoked Salt from Zupan’s salt bar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Boil pasta one minute less than mfgr. recommmendation.
3) Bake thinly sliced, olive-oiled Porcinis for five minutes, then heat alfredo in the microwave for 1.5 minutes.
4) On the stove, toss cooked pasta with 2 T extra virgin olive oil and a spalsh of hot pasta water, 1 t salt bar salt, then measure out just enough pasta to fill 4 ramekins. Toss this in a spearate bowl with enough alfredo to thoroughly coat. Layer pasta in ramekins with mushrooms, crab, and parmigiano-reggiano.
5) Top each ramekin with 2 crab legs, 2 mushrooms, remaining alfredo, and finish with another big pinch of parmigiano-reggiano.
6) Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Finish with chopped chives and serve piping hot.