Love pumpkin? So do we. Love cream cheese? Us too! Love pumpkin and cream cheese together? Whoa, now that sounds like a match made in heaven! Combine that flavor combination with in a danish, and we’re pretty sure there isn’t going to be any better way to start your morning. This recipe is easy enough to whip up for entertaining or for an early breakfast for overnight guests.
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 C sugar
3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/4 C canned, cooked pumpkin
1 t pure vanilla extract
1/4 t kosher salt
1 t allspice or pumpkin pie spice
1 t cinnamon
3 sheets (1 1/2 boxes) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten with 1 T water, for egg wash
1 C confectioners sugar
1 T milk
**extra powdered sugar for dusting
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream them together on low speed until smooth.
2) With the mixer still on low, add the egg yolks, pumpkin, vanilla, salt, and spices and mix until just combined. Do not over beat!
3) Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured board and roll it slightly with a floured rolling pin until it’s a 10 by 10-inch square.
4) Cut the sheet into quarters with a sharp knife. Place a heaping tablespoon of pumpkin-cheese filling into the middle of each of the 4 squares. Brush the border of each pastry with egg wash and fold 2 opposite corners to the center, brushing and overlapping the corners of each pastry so they firmly stick together. Brush the top of the pastries with egg wash.
5) Place the pastries on the prepared sheet pan. Repeat with the remaining sheets of puff pastry and refrigerate the filled Danish for 15 minutes. Bake the pastries for about 20 minutes, until puffed and brown.
6) Whisk to combine the confectioners’ sugar and milk until a smooth glaze forms. Generously drizzle the glaze over pastries and sprinkle them with additional powdered sugar (can re-heat for 10 seconds in microwave).