With fall bringing that little nip into the air, it’s time for us to dig into the archives of breakfast comfort foods and share them with you. What better way to start off a rainy morning than to put on some comfty pants, grab a cup of warm tea, and eat a hot breakfast? We’re passing on two recipes that look as beautiful as they do delicious.
1 C multigrain pancake & waffle mix
1 egg, beaten
1 T honey
3/4 C fat free milk (or almond, soy, or rice)
1 T plain, nonfat yogurt
1 T flax seeds
2 t vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 t ground cinnamon
For the apple topping:
2 apples, cored and sliced
1/4 C water
1/2 t apple pie spice
1 t cinnamon
1/2 C walnuts, toasted
1) Preheat your waffle iron. In a bowl, mix together waffle ingredients. Cook according to your waffle iron.
2) Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add sliced apple and water. Let simmer 2-3 minutes, or until apples begin to get tender. Stir in remaining ingredients and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes, or until apples are completely tender.
3) Remove from heat and set aside. Top waffles with apple mixture and sprinkle with toasted walnuts. Enjoy!
*To toast walnuts, place in skillet over medium heat until fragrant.
1 splash milk
3 sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 slice whole wheat bread (toasted)
Parmigiano-Reggiano to taste
Parsley, chopped (if desired)
1) Mix the eggs, milk, sundried tomatoes, salt and pepper in a bowl.
2) Melt the butter in a pan.
3) Add the eggs and cook stirring until the eggs are set but still a little runny.
4) Spread some mayonnaise on the toast and top with the eggs.
5) Garnish with parmigiano-reggiano and parsley.