Mother’s Day is this Sunday, May 9th! Moms love to be pampered, so how about you invite her over for a homemade brunch? Set the table with a fresh bouquet of flowers from our floral department, and wow her with some of these recipes!
8 oz Brie cheese, thinly sliced
6 rice or flour tortillas, 8-9 inch diameter
1 large mango, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
9 large strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1) Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place toritlla in the pan. Arrange some Brie slices along half of the tortilla topped by mango slices and a few more Brie slices. Using a spatula, fold tortilla in half. Pan fry each side for 2 – 3 minutes until cheese is melted and tortilla is lightly browned. Repeat to make 3 mangos and 3 strawberry tortillas. To serve, cut into quarters.
10 oz. chopped spinach
1 1/2 C finely chopped onion
1 T unsalted butter
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t nutmeg
6 slices bacon
8 C cubed French bread
2 c grated Gruyere cheese
1 C grated parmesan cheese
2 3/4 C 2% milk
9 large eggs
2 T Dijon mustard
The night before:
1) Cook onion in butter in a skillet over moderate heat, stirring until soft, approx. 10 minutes. Add 1/4 t salt, 1/4 t pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring 1 minute. Stir in spinach and bacon, then remove from heat.
2) Spread half the bread cubes in a buttered 3 quart baking dish and top evenly with half of the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with half of each cheese. Repeat ending with cheeses. Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, and remaining salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour the mixture over strata. Chill strata, covered with plastic wrap for at least 8 hours (for bread to absorb custard).
The next morning:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let strata stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2) Bake strata uncovered until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, approximately 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.