Fresh, first of the season Oregon shrimp meat is on sale this week at your local Zupan’s! It’s so good that we recommend putting on your cooking hat and trying out some new recipes. Try this shrimp cake recipe — a great twist on the traditional crab cake.
Makes 12 cakes – Serves 4
1 lb fresh cooked Oregon shrimp meat
1 red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T scallions, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lime
1 t lime zest
½ t sea salt
¼ t chipotle chile, ground
½ C cilantro, finely chopped
½ C bread crumbs, or almond flour
3 T grapeseed oil, for frying
- Place shrimp in food processor, pulse until finely chopped, leaving a handful out of whole shrimp.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped shrimp, bell pepper, garlic, scallions, lime juice, agave, salt, chipotle, egg, and cilantro.
- Form mixture into 12 (½) inch thick patties, dip each in almond flour, coating thoroughly.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm 1 T oil.
- Add 4 patties to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes per side, until browned. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining cakes.